Thursday, July 15, 2010

First Night

Well, Miles left to go offshore yesterday for six weeks. Last night was my first night alone in our new surroundings. It always takes a while to adjust to the sounds and sights of the night in a new location. After nine years of marriage and five moves I still take a little while to rest easy when it comes nightfall. Being in the middle of the woods, in the dark, and without any way to communicate can definitely make someone like me, who has a vivid imagination, require the trust and faith that comes from living life alone. As I lay in bed talking with God I could see from my pillow up into the night sky. The view through the tree tops was breathtaking. The moon and stars shone so bright. It was amazing! I listened to the many sounds around us and could distinguish the song of whippoorwills, the cry of an occasional bob cat and the calls of coyotes as they journeyed through the forest. Not to mention the numerous sounds of the night insects playing their music. It ended up being very peaceful and tranquil. Despite the fact I lay there alone, I really didn't feel alone at all. I felt my Father in the creation around me. I could see his face in the stars that shone so bright through my window and hear His voice in the Pines and in that beautiful song of the whippoorwill. Yes, I'm not at all alone. It reminded me of this verse from Romans.

Romans 1:20 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
20 From the creation of the world His invisible attributes, that is, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what He has made. As a result, people are without excuse.

Rest easy my friends!

New International Version
I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
Psalm 4:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment