Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hornets-A Lasting Impression

I've gotton into the routine of working outside during Travis' nap now. The girls go with me. We either meander through the woods dreaming of the best place to build a play fort or lay a dry creek bed. And sometimes I grab the nearest tool to work at clearing underbrush. Well, today was one of those days I chose to work. Its been a blistering hot day but the shade of the woods does give some reprieve. The work was going steady and the sweat poured from our brows. I'd chop and the girls would pull the dead limb out to the nearest clearing. Then it happened, I pulled up a dead tree and unearthed a nest of little black and yellow devils, better known to most as hornets. I saw them swarm and yelled out to the girls "Run, Run to the trailer!" Luckily, my kids obey on command and they ran as fast as their little legs could carry them. No questions asked. I could feel those little creatures attacking; as I looked down at my light gray shirt I saw that I was covered in those black and yellow creatures. I must have resembled a wild, Amazon women as I came out of those woods a hollerin' and only half clothed by this point. I had nothing but my hands to defend myself, the tools having been left behind as I ran. I was able to kill them best as a slammed my shirt against the hard earth. When I was finally able to slow down to catch my breath and examine my progress I glanced over at my two little girls. They stood, blue eyes as big as saucers, absolutely bewildered and not just a little scared. What they must've been thinking at seeing their mother throwing such a wild Comanche-like fit, I could only assume. One thing I know is those tiny creatures sure pack a punch! They have made a lasting impression on this women. I just hope that by evening they've settled down enough for me to go and retrieve my tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment