Friday, April 23, 2010

Letters from Mom

I remember reading a letter that my dad wrote to me while he was on a ship far from home. I was just a baby when he wrote that letter but I never forgot how it made me feel all those years later. So many things seem to be said better by pen and paper than having to say them aloud. My mom was always really great about leaving little notes and poems and riddles in odd little places where I'd find them later. Those little notes always made me feel so loved and cherished. She took the time to think ahead in order to make me feel special. I'll never forget how that made me feel. In fact, I began a letter-writing ministry, so to speak, to my own children. They are too little to understand now but I hope that in the future they'll look at these words and feel loved and cherished as well. Perhaps even gain a little wisdom and encouragment along the way.
Writing letters was once such a commonplace practice, its seems to have been lost in this generation. I want to remember how I felt in these moments while my children grow. It all flies by so fast. I try to make an effort to slow down and record all those precious times where we've laughed together and enjoyed one another. Putting down my thoughts and feelings during their childhood enables me to leave a legacy, of sorts, to my children and grandchildren. They will know and see God through me in letters even after I am gone. They will know the love I have for them and the joy they bring to me. They will see me as I learn to be closer to God, as I gain wisdom from Him. Whatever vision or truth that dwells in me, I want them to know.
I encourage you today to write a letter. Maybe to your children, parents or friend. They will be so very blessed! And you will be too!

No comments:

Post a Comment