Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Fresh Bread and Blackberries

Nothing beats the smell of fresh baked bread. That is the aroma that feels our house now. Its hard to wait until it cools before we slice into it and while its still piping hot we slather on the butter. Absolutely delicious!
Speaking of baking, I've been trying to come up with innovative ways to use up pureed baby food. I just hate the thought of throwing it all out since Travis no longer eats it. So yesterday I baked a carrot cake using some carrot puree. I wrapped it up to freeze for when we have company, but before I did I sneaked just a tad for sampling. It was awesome!! So moist and flavorful! I look forward to topping it with cream cheese frosting! I also whipped up some 'monkey bars' using bananas, pureed sweet potatoes, and pureed carrots. They were also very good, and healthy to boot. All three of my little monkeys loved them. I suppose it no longer qualifies as healthy when you eat one too many!
I'd love to utilize all the blackberries around here to whip up something delish and should I say just a bit 'sinful', but it seems they never make it back to the house. You see, on our way to the mailbox we have to bypass those thorny vines laden with sweet goodness. Needless to say, it takes us three times as long to get to the mail. The berries are all devoured before we get back. My girls LOVE them! And crazy as it seems one of our dogs does too. Being that she can't 'pick' the right ones she ends up eating unripe berries and making herself sick. She has yet to learn her lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment