Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Speak softly my love

Mrs. Eva Hauk, a writer for LAF, wrote a wonderful article that included this poem.

Be soft of voice
and gentle of bearing
Be kind of heart
and tender of hands

Be bright as the morn
and still as the evening
Within you they’ll find
God’s love reborn.

This is something I truly struggle with and yet have always wanted. To be a lady who is soft and gentle. A woman of virtue and kindness. It all somewhat slapped me in the face recently when I reacted harshly to my husband. I sometimes sport a worldly 'tell it like it is' attitude. Especially when I've been hurt, angered, or feeling the need to be defensive. "That doesn’t mean becoming blind to other people’s faults, but simply not feeling the need to dwell upon them, nor feeling the desire to point them out unless in the greatest love and in a way that for them is not humiliating but helpful."(Mrs. Eva Hauk)
I have always been strong-willed, opinionated, and very stubborn. Being soft and gentle doesn't always come so easy to me. Some women have a great godly gentleness that I so much want to replicate. The bible very thoroughly states that gentleness and kindness are fruits of the spirit. No where in His word have I found that being stubborn and opinionated were fine qualities in a woman. Oh, this is going to be a prayerful journey. For I surely can't accomplish it alone. Take a look at these.

Psalm 34:13

Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.

Proverbs 22:11

He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious will have the king for his friend.

Psalm 19:14

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Philippians 4:8

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Ephesians 4:29;31

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers… Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.

And one of the most important reasons I have for striving to be soft in speech are the three little faces who look up at me daily for instruction and guidance. How on earth will they learn if they do not see it in me?

Proverbs 23:15-16

My son, if your heart is wise, then my heart will be glad; my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right.

To my dear sweet husband,
I will strive to be a wife of noble character. I will pray daily for you as leader of our home. I will try to never repay hurts for hurts. I commit to...speak softly my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment