Saturday, May 22, 2010

Psalms 100

The girls have memorized the entire 100th chapter of Psalms. In Kings James Version to boot. I am amazed at how easily they retain information and what an awesome blessing that it be scripture. Of course it somewhat puts me to shame that I don't more easily remember all that I read in His word. Its such a vital part in the Christians walk to know scripture. If we do not have it in our minds and hearts we will not be able to retrieve it when we need it. It takes time and effort. Here is something I found in a sermon by John Piper on the reasons why we should memorize scripture.

1.Memorizing Scripture makes meditation possible at times when I can’t be reading the Bible, and meditation is the pathway of deeper understanding.
2.Memorizing Scripture strengthens my faith because faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of Christ, and that happens when I am hearing the word in my head.
3.Memorizing Scripture shapes the way I view the world by conforming my mind to God’s viewpoint.
4.Memorizing Scripture makes God’s word more readily accessible for overcoming temptation to sin, because God’s warnings and promises are the way we conquer the deceitful promises of sin.
5.Memorizing Scripture guards my mind by making it easier to detect error—and the world is filled with error, since the god of this world is a liar.
6.Memorizing Scripture enables me to hit the devil in the face with a force he cannot resist, and so protect myself and my family from his assaults.
7.Memorizing Scripture provides the strongest and sweetest words for ministering to others in need.
8.Memorizing Scripture provides the matrix for fellowship with Jesus because he talks to me through his word, and I talk to him in prayer.

All this is more then just memorizing however. The devil himself has memorized scripture and recited to Jesus in the desert. The word of God needs to abide in us and be engraved on to our hearts. If His word abides in you, you will bear the faithfulness in the one who gave it to you. John 5;38 says " nor does his word dwell(abide) in you for you do not believe the one he sent." Often times we need to make room and 'clean house' a bit in order for His words to be at home in us.
When scripture abides in us we will be changed, its inevitable. You will be sanctified by his truth. John 17:17 "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth."
Strive today, along with me, to take hold of the words of God our Father. Meditate on them and KNOW them! I will do the same. Make this your goal and let me know how it goes. I would love to hear feedback. If you have trouble 'memorizing' anything much like myself, there are a number of different methods on the Internet to aid you in this. I'm on the lookout for what works best for me and I will update you on the progress.

And one more for the road!
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them upon your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of you houses and on your gates." Deut.6:5-9(Emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment